Aga Khan Museum
Completion: February 03, 2014
Total Construction Value: $300,000,000
Size: 100000 sq. ft.
Opened to the public in September 2014, the Aga Khan Museum is dedicated to the preservation and appreciation of the art and culture of Islamic civilizations. The museum is an initiative of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network. It's a distinctive building, featuring cantilevered walls and refined spaces both indoors and out. Measurements accurate to the millimetre create an impeccable finish. The museum’s collections include artifacts from the private collections of His Highness the Aga Khan, the Institute of Ismaili Studies in London England, and Prince and Princess Sadruddin Aga Khan.
As a world-class public cultural space, the Aga Khan Museum has exacting requirements for its mechanical infrastructure. Special humidity controls ensure ideal conditions for valuable artifacts, and its cooling and heating systems are optimally designed for comfort in both the exhibit and performance areas. Kelson provided the following systems and services:
- Two mechanical rooms, a boiler room, heat exchange room, and chiller yard
- Infloor heating for 60% of the ground floor, and snow melting around all window pockets, parking ramp, and outdoor courtyard
- Heating, chilled, glycol, humidification, plumbing, and drainage systems
- Independent split AC systems for artifact storage rooms
- Sound levels of NC 15-25 throughout
- Work with subcontractors for insulation, sheetmetal, controls, fire stopping, and refrigeration
Every aspect of rough-in was coordinated in detail to meet the exceptional design parameters of the project. Kelson collaborated in the complex process of design and approvals to reroute piping so boiler stacks did not terminate through the roof and detract from the architecture. In keeping with stringent noise restrictions, all mechanical equipment was tested using vibro-acoustic analysis.
The museum has been featured in magazines and has had world wide acclaim. Any specific awards have not been noted yet.