Sunnybrook Hospital M-Wing Expansion
Completion: June 01, 2010
Size: 270000 sq. ft.
Sunnybrook’s M-Wing expansion, completed in 2010, created four additional floors on top of the existing M-Wing structure. Floors four and five are home to the Perinatal and Gynaecology Program, including a state-of-the-art neonatal intensive care unit. Floors six and seven contain research laboratories and core technology facilities for the Sunnybrook Research Institute (SRI), including the Breast Cancer Research Centre, regarded as Canada’s premier location for multidisciplinary breast cancer science. The SRI also features research programs in angiogenesis and regenerative medicine.
For years Kelson has been providing integrated mechanical solutions on projects at Sunnybrook . On this project Kelson provided the following work:
- Extend existing storm and sanitary systems to accommodate drainage requirements
- Extend existing fire standpipe systems to serve new fire hose cabinets
- Extend existing medical gas risers to serve selected rooms on the new floors
- Provide perimeter heating using radiant ceiling panels and associated piping
- Complete new mechanical room on third floor to provide constant temperature heating, schedule temperature heating, domestic hot water, and glycol heating systems
- Complete new mechanical penthouse, including hoisting and placement of fourteen new air handling units
- Work with sub-contractors to provide associated piping/sheet metal insulation, pneumatic piping, ventilation, sprinklers, and fire stopping and controls
2011 TCA “Best of the Best” Award